Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Baking Banana bread and thinking about my Mom

I actually cooked today.  Well, I baked.  Banana bread to be exact.  Haven't made that in a long time.  I use to make it with my mother.  She never wasted a banana.  Only thing missing was the pecans.  Mother always had pecans in her bread.  All I had was over ripe bananas.  I have been throwing them away.  Just to lazy to bake the bread but this time I had 6 over ripe ones and that was just too many to throw away.
                                                             Made two to be exact.
It was good to be in the kitchen baking again.  It was even better to take the time to remember things I enjoyed doing with my mother.  She loved banana bread.  She always wanted the outside piece spread with butter while it was still hot out of the oven.  I ate my piece that way, smiled and just thought about my mother.   It was a good day.
I didn't have mom's recipe but this one was close.  Mom's added 1 tsp. vanilla.  Other than that and the pecans, this one was closest, that I can remember.
Banana Bread

1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.

Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing.



Enjoy!
Tomorrow is a travel day.  The bread will make a easy and quick breakfast!
Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!